This scholarship was established to honor a great mentor and Hispanic labor leader and organizer. Its intent is to provide financial assistance to Hispanic students of the Southwest Michigan area in the counties of Kalamazoo, Allegan and Van Buren, who have demonstrated academic success and civic responsibility in their communities.
- Must be a Southwest Michigan high school senior or high school graduate
- Must be Hispanic or of Hispanic descent
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident residing in the United States
- Must be studying at an accredited college or university in the State of Michigan for the upcoming academic year
- Must be enrolled or plan to be enrolled full-time at an accredited college or university in the State of Michigan as an undergraduate student for the upcoming academic year (2010-2011)
- Must have earned and maintained a cumulative Grade Point Average of no less than 3.00 on a 4.0 scale
- Must demonstrate financial need according to the FAFSA